Conant Prize Area Extended to Include Tennessee and Missouri

President Conant Says That He Is Satisfied With the Present Method of Selection

Tennessee and Missouri have been added to the list of eight states from which Conant Prize Scholars may be drawn, President Conant announced yesterday.

The original territory was comprised of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Last year the area was extended to include Iowa and Kentucky while this year it will be increased to ten states with the addition of Tennessee and Missouri.

To Be Made Nation-wide in Scope

When sufficient gifts for scholarship purposes are made to the 300th Anniversary Fund, the plan will be placed upon a national basis, and the awards will be known as Harvard National Scholarships.

President Conant is convinced that the records of the Prize Scholars in college prove that men of sufficient ability can be selected from secondary schools. He feels also that the present condition of affairs is no more than a beginning, declaring, "a very large number of promising young men throughout the nation are ready to apply for such scholarships, once they are established on a country-wide basis . . . with adequate care it is possible to select the best material."

Exceptional Men Without Means

"The belief which underlies the entire project is that there will always be a few young men of exceptional promise, but wholly without the means of paying for a university education, to whom it is well worth society's while to furnish every opportunity."

The stipend for these awards is adjusted to the individual needs of the recipients and ranges between $100 and $1200 annually, making it possible for men in all financial circumstances to compete for them.

There are 21 fellows in college now who have received the awards.