Haigis Expects State and National G.O.P. Sweep; Thinks Roosevelt Silence on Curley Unimportant

"Sure Thing for Republicans Since 1934", Says Gubernatorial Nominee During Final Tour

President Roosevelt's failure to indorse Governor Curley and Charles F. Burley, Democratic gubernatorial candidate, on his recent trip to Massachusetts, will have no appreciable effect on the election results next Tuesday, in the opinion of John W. Haigis, nominee of the Republican party.

Haigis, winding up his campaign in whirlwind fashion, is addressing from 20 to 30 meetings every day in the vicinity of Greater Boston. He has already covered Western and Central Massachusetts earlier in the fall.

"I have always placed great reliance on the "Literary Digest" presidential poll," he said, "but this year I don't know. In New Bedford, I understand the Digest shows Roosevelt to have a slight lead, but all our private polls indicate a Landon sweep."

At any rate, Haigis feels, even if the poll develops a greater percentage of error than it has ever shown, Landon would still have a comfortable margin.

"I personally don't feel the slightest doubt about my own election or the success of the entire Republican state and national ticket," declared Haigis. New England has been safe G.O.P. territory ever since 1934, he feels. The real battleground is in Pennsylvania and the states west as far as Illinois. New York he considers as virtually in the Landon column now.

The candidate met members of the Harvard Haigis Club yesterday at a reception in the Lenox Hotel. Richard O. Ulin '38, chairman of the executive committee, was in charge of the group, and a delegation from Tufts College also greeted Mr. Haigis.