TRIALS FOR DEBATERS IN P. B. H. THIS EVENING

Council Chooses Political Subject for Candidates; Six Meets Planned on Fall Calendar

Harvard's fall debating program, always more interesting in the year of a presidential election, will be launched tonight with the first meeting of the Debating Council and trials for the fall debates in the Shepard Room of Phillips Brooks House at 7.30 o'clock.

The question for argumentation is: "Resolved, That F. D. Roosevelt should be re-elected President of the United States." Candidates will be expected to deliver a three-minute speech on either side of the question.

The competition will be open to all members of last year's council who are in College, and to members of last year's Freshman council. Judges will be Edward M. Rowe '27, coach of debating, and Irving H. Murray '36, assistant coach.

A tentative schedule of six debates for the fall has been drawn up, and only awaits the approval of the College. Meets will probably be held with Dartmouth, Yale, Brown, and others.

Of the six speakers who gave Harvard a victory over Yale and Princeton in the Triangular Debate last year, four are still is college and will enter tonight's trials. They are W. Tucker Dean '37, John P. Healey '37, Thomas W. Stephenson '37, and Richard W. Sullivan '38.