BROTHER'S BLOOD

In their unexpected recognition of General Franco's rebel bands Mussolini and Hitler are playing a gambler's last card. The defense of Madrid by the constitutional government of Spain during the past two weeks has been a spectacle of heroism and determination equalled by nothing in this or any other recent war. In the reports of impartial observers that each day the Loyalists show an increased strength and promise lies the key to Germany's and Italy's recognition.

Last week from his temporary capital at Valencia President Azana of the Spanish Republic made another plea to the democratic countries of the world to come to the aid of Spain. He remarked that although while Madrid was held by the Loyalists Great Britain and France, along with the other "neutral" nations, would give that city no aid, he expected a different situation to prevail in the event the capital fell into rebel hands. President Azana lacked imagination. Now these self-styled "neutrals" will not have to wait until the defenders of Madrid are routed. Recognition by Germany and Italy is obviously for the purpose of sending the rebels openly and in even larger quantities the aid they have been supplying all along. Even if Great Britain and France show more decency than one would expect of them and refuse to follow the lead of the Fascist countries, there is no possibility that they will stand in the way of foreign intervention in behalf of Franco.

The post-war years have seen the figure of international law masquerading in some strange costumes, but none so exotic as that it wears in the present situation. The fact that in any civil conflict the recognized government has always been free to receive the implements of self-defense from abroad has been disregarded by the "neutral" countries on the grounds that Madrid was Lestist. It is convenient to forget that at the beginning of the revolt the Spanish government was a liberal republic, which swung toward Communism only under the tragic necessity of self-defense. President Azana, who still refuses to flee the burning house, is no more Marxist than Herbert Hoover or Stanley Baldwin, and far less so than Leon Blum. It is significant that Largo Caballero, the radical, did not become prime minister until the civil war had been waged for several months.

If Germany and Italy are allowed to resort to open intervention, and the rout of international morality is made complete, Great Britain and her satellite France are to blame. No greater blow could have been dealt the Spanish Republic, and the front of constitutional democracies in general, than the non-intervention pact which raised the ideal smoke screen behind which Hitler and Mussolini could do their work.