Election Returns to Be Flashed From Bell-Tower of Old Appleton Chapel in Revolutionary Fashion

Crimson Inaugurates New Era by Introduction of New, Unusual Service

Recognizing the widespread interest of the University in the election results tonight, and commemorating the ride of Paul Rever five months early, the CRIMSON will inform the waiting world who is leading and who is elected by means of a simple system of lights suspended from the old Appleton Chapel.

One if by Landon, two if by Roosevelt, and skyrockets for Colonel Apted, is the formula that has been adopted. One lantern will be lowered and waved in semi-circle to the north if Landon is leading at 9 o'clock tonight. If, however, Lloyds prove to have the wrong information, and Roosevelt leads at 9.30 o'clock, two lanterns will be lowered, one slightly higher than the other, and both will be hurled into a semi-circle to the south.

A fireworks display rivalling the Tercentenary exhibit will be set off from the Chapel when Col. Apted, backed by many University voters, pulls definitely ahead of his rivals.

Nor will the State election be neglected. If Haigis, the Republican gubernatorial nominee is leading, a circle of green lights will be thrown on top of Sever Hall, and relayed from there over to Widener by easy stages. A lead of Hurley, Bourbon aspirant, will be indicated by emptying a case of old champagne into the crowd below.

In the Senatorial fight, advantage to Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. '24, will be announced by a pealing of joyous bells, while if Governor Curley is pushed to the front by his admirers, the result will be indicated by three cries of "Rhinehart" from the tower.

When Landon is elected, the College will be informed of the event by the appearance of a meteor in the western sky describing an are from south to north, following which an American flag will descend. If Roosevelt should win, the flag will be thrown away.

All residents of New York who want to know how their state election is developing are advised to go to the "New York Times" Building where a similar simple system of flashing results will be used.

The "Times" system will be somewhat complicated by the well-known moving electric sign which runs across the face of their building, and disappears, never to be seen again, somewhere in the general direction of 42nd Street. For slower readers this proves an insurmountable handicap, and men who have missed more than half the dispatch have also been known to disappear in the general direction of 42nd Street.

Members of the University will not be bothered by this difficulty, as the CRIMSON has aimed at simplicity throughout in its presentation of the returns. No partiality will be shown whatsoever, every effort being made to give this great service to the voters of the University and of the City of Cambridge in such a manner that all may gaze, react, and instantly understand the full import of the epoch-making events that will be portrayed.

In the past, before the development of modern newspaper facilities, conscientious voters often remained in ignorance of the true significance of the ballot they had cast for many hours. The Harvard CRIMSON attempts to avoid recurrence of these mid-Victorian conditions.

This evening every up-to-date newspaper in the land has made arrangements to serve their readers in some fashion as that which the CRIMSON will employ. Some only use green lights, some use red lights, some employ the swinging counter-clockwise, north-and-south motion, while others simply use chalk.

If you want to get the latest reports, carefully analyzed and tabulated state by state, watch the bell-tower in old Appleton Chapel tonight for this new and different CRIMSON service. The regular edition of the CRIMSON will appear as usual.