OFFICIAL CLOSING OF TERCENTENARY SEEN YESTERDAY

Harvard-Cambridge Debate by Radio Treats of International Cooperation; Stephenson Speaks

The official closing of Harvard's Tercentenary took place Saturday with the celebration of John Harvard's 329th birthday. At the regular Chapel Service at 9:45, Reverend Raymond Calkins '90 commemorated the birth of Harvard's founder by tracing briefly the history of the college from the gift of Harvard's library and half of his estate. Mentioning only the highlights in his survey, Reverend Calkins stressed the influence Harvard has had on the development of the country as a whole and on the future.

Transatiantic Debate

Saturday afternoon at 12:30 a transatlantic debate was held between Harvard and Cambridge on the question; "Resolved, that national economic problems can be solved without international cooperation." Jerome D. Greene '96, Director of the Tercentenary, introduced Thomas W. Stephenson '37 of Wilmington, Delaware, who spoke for the affirmative, and R. Leonard Miall a senior at St. John's College, Combridge, who spoke for the negative.

Miall, speaking from Cambridge, is the President of the Cambridge Union and an editor of the Cambridge Review. Arguing in defence of the policy of national co-operation as a means of securing world peace, he brought out advantages such a policy would have in solving problems similar to those mentioned by Stephenson. Unemployment, social security, and the rest, although directly bearing on national affairs, have definite international effects. Co-operation between the United States and Great Britain according to Miall would be particularly powerful in relieving world crises.

No Decision

Since the debate was not decided, conclusions were left up to an audience tuned into the Blue Network of the National Broadcasting System. The British Broadcasting Company transmitted Miall's speech by short wave, and the N. B. C. relayed it from New York.

At the close of the ceremonies, Mr. Greene spoke in terms of an analogy which the debate had brought to his mind. He likened the debaters to combattants of old whose arguments were their lances, whose victory was the smile of a fair lady, the smile of Athene. Instead of the smile of Athene, the debaters had to be content with the approbation of their large audience. Their decision was the only victory to be considered. In thus concluding the debate, Mr. Greene also formally closed the celebration of the Tercentenary.