ON THE BAND-WAGON

With the announcement that the '39 and '40 football schedule will include the University of Pennsylvania comes the realization that Harvard has in all earnestness climbed onto the Ivy League band-wagon. Every college named in this newest eastern league will meet Harvard teams during the next four years, with the single exception of Columbia. Not only by lip service but by the best example of all -- actual playing agreements, does Harvard signify her intention to do all in her power to further amateur football and non-professionalism in the college field.

Though Harvard has remained unscathed by accusations of commercialism in her football policy during the past few years several of her traditional rivals have not been so fortunate in avoiding the accusing finger.

Now that a common desire to end these allegations has been evinced on all sides, the future augurs well for eastern football, represented to a large extent as it is by the Ivy League members. If, and the if is all important, member coaches can be brought to accept definite training seasons, limited spring practice, standard rules, etc., the Ivy League will work. It has had an auspicious birth and has the practical support of seven great Universities.

If it is not killed off in its youth by non-observance of codes and general shady practices, it may well grow to be a powerful example to American football. Such an example, flourishing in practice as well as theory, would do more than anything else to return college football to that position which it once held and which is its inherent and natural birthright.