NEW FIELDS TO CONQUER

Although perhaps a trific early for jubilation or hosannas, the news of the presentation of the American peace pact at Buenos Aires comes as a distinct omen for good and warrants further hope that the Pan-American conference will come out with something tangible to its credit. Too often in the past have the hopes of waiting nations been reduced to disillusionment through months of selfish quarrelings and too many times have delegations repacked their luggage to trail home empty-handed. Economic conferences, disarmament conferences, treaty revision conferences, battleship parleys, tariff discussions all have been proposed, all have been acclaimed by millions and all have spent time and wasted money with little to show for it. In short the nations of the world have talked, but few have acted in concert or with the aim of peace or concord uppermost in their respective and devious minds.

The United States has no greater interests, either culturally, nationally or commercially, than those she has within the South American continent. The nations to the south have been formed by nature as our neighbors and the bonds between ourselves and these several states were recognized many years ago by Monroe and others as being too close to permit either foreign aggression or internal strivings to go on without resulting danger to ourself. Though at that time, a sound policy, the far-famed Monroe doctrine since has lapsed into a form of economic imperialism which has aroused bitterness and suspicion within the nations involved. This antipathy has had its disastrous results in the form of foreign domination of the South American markets and the consequent loss of a huge field for exploitation to American producers. Great Britain, Germany, Japan--all have capitalized on this aversion and have built up strong traditions of trade in the past ten years; tradition which will be hard to overcome.

Yet these traditions and ties and economic loyalties must be overcome if the United States is to develop as she has so far. South America represents a gold-mine for American interests, and this mine has scarcely been tapped. Now, with war looming on the European horizon, with England's "Royal salesman" embroiled in a messy scandal and with internecine strife besetting Japan, the stage is set for an immediate American entry into the Pan-American economic scene. The present policy of reciprocal trade agreements has not only brought a great measure of prosperity to formerly impoverished South-American states, as well as to ourselves, but has created a feeling of tangible and practical good-will which stretches far beyond words and euphonious, and impassioned promises.

With the material assets of a close alignment with South America so clear and near-at-hand, there still remains the value of several close friends in case the time should ever come to defend American shores. With a coast line of some three thousand miles and a comparatively small standing army, the United States could do worse than make friends with the more powerful nations to the South. America looms great as a world-power today, but with the stead-fast backing of Latin-America she would be, not seem, invincible. And though the present conference be limited to peace and its preservation, no firmer bonds exist in time of war than mutual cultural and economic interests. These are being cemented today at Buenos Aires. The eyes and attention of America should be fastened on that capital. What is transpiring there today, may some day determine the fate of this nation.