Synchronized Clock System Makes for Uniformity in Entire University Time

179 Electric Clocks Installed Last Year Controlled At Four Stations

When the chapel bell strikes 10 o'clock, and Joe Yardling jumps up from Bryce's "Holy Roman Empire" to realize that his new Elgin watch is apparently ten minutes slow, and that he is exactly ten minutes late to class, it is no less than the complete system of University electric telechron clocks that is to blame.

These clocks, 179 in number, were installed last year in all University buildings. There are four master control systems from which all are regulated.

The Appleton chapel system controls all the clocks in the Yard. All the laboratories are regulated from the Geography Building. The Law School is taken care of from Langdell Hall, and Dunster, Lowell, Adams, Eliot, and Kirkland Houses are regulated from Lowell House.

Strangely enough, although there are only four of these clocks in Widener Library, the Biology Laboratory has more than 60. Perhaps the most famous one of all is the time clock in Harvard Stadium.

Connected with each electric chronometer is a regular clock with an automatic adjuster. If the current should be shut off and the telechron fall behind, it is not reset in the ordinary manner, but the automatic adjuster makes it function at twice its normal speed until it has caught up with the regular clock.