COALITION GROUP FORMS UNION AT MEETING TONIGHT

Constitution of New Harvard Student Union, Speeches, Elections to Take Place Tonight -- All Welcome

A fresh start for all undergraduates interested in political matters will be inaugurated tonight at 8 o'clock with the first meeting of the Harvard Student Union, in Emerson D. It will be open to all students in the University and membership will automatically be granted to all those who vote to ratify the constitution. The meeting was brought about by an agreement among the several highly-partisan undergraduate political bodies to sink their differences in the interest of greater general effectiveness. The Peace Society led the movement by agreeing to join the Liberal Club and immediately thereafter the Student League for Industrial Democracy and the National Student League abdicated their ineffective if independent positions in the College.

Constitution To Be Voted On

At the meeting tonight a constitution will be decided upon, officers will be elected, and speakers representing former groups will address the new members and the members of former opposition organizations. Paul M. Sweezy '32, prominent in the Teacher's Federation, will open the meeting. Following him Robert Brainard '38, representing the Peace Society, Boone Schirmer '37, representing the National Student League, A. Jerome Himelhoch '38, representing the Liberal Club, and Robert Cumming '38, representing the Student League for Industrial Democracy, will address the Union.

Preamble Follows

The preamble to the proposed constitution, drawn up by the men above with the assistance of Raymond Dennett '36, and Robert S. Chafee '36, sets forth the purpose behind the new Union. It reads: "Whereas, believing that an organization should exist at Harvard to bring together different political, social, and economic opinions of the students in regard to such questions as the promotion of international peace, of social security, and the preservation of the liberties guaranteed in the first ten amendments to the Federal Constitution, we hereby form the Harvard Student Union in order to promote intelligent discussion, thorough study, and effective action."