CREW PROSPECTS DULL AS OARSMEN OPEN THE SEASON

Has Very Poor Crew at Present With Best Men Lost, But Coach Whiteside Expects Serious Opposition

"No crew will be worse than Harvard next May," said Coach Charlie Whiteside last night. "We have to meet boats one weekend after the other, all equal or better than our eight."

Whiteside's remarks were addressed to a gathering of the Varsity crew candidates in the Lowell House Common Room.

Yale Crew

"Yale has a pretty lousy crew right now" he began. "Eight of their best men either have graduated or are laid up. But that doesn't mean that they won't have a good one by the time we meet them on June 19!

"This University is without doubt the oldest and the best institution of learning in the country," he continued. "But it takes more than tradition to make a good crew. We have very fine equipment--equal to any college that we meet. Then, what about the men we have? That's the thing to be proved.

"All I ask is that this crew do itself justice!"

Practice Plans

The first four eights will take conditioning exercises until March 9, and will be given more work in the tank than in previous years. With the tough schedule in May, the boats must be lined up by April 15 in nearly final shape. "Consequently," said the coach, "the more tank practice all candidates get between now and the day they take the water, the better for all concerned."