STEPHENSON MADE '37 PRESIDENT OF DEBATING COUNCIL

Constitution Is Changed at Annual Meeting to Lessen Future Duties of Secretary

The election of Thomas W. Stephenson '37, winner of the Coolidge debating prize, as President of the Debating Council for next year was announced following the annual meeting last night.

At the same time, W. Tucker Dean '37, was elected as Vice-President and John A. Sullivan '38, as Secretary.

Stephenson Prize Winner

Stephenson was the leading speaker in the Harvard victory over Yale last Friday, and he was awarded the coveted $100 Coolidge prize. Dean has just been elected President of the 1937 Model League of Nations, the first time that a Harvard man has ever had this honor, while Sullivan, the only Sophomore of the three, was instrumental in bringing about the defeat of Yale.

At the meeting last night a new amendment to the constitution was brought up and adopted. It is designed to lessen the burdens of the Secretary, because these duties in the past have been too great a burden for one man.

New Amendment

According to the new system, the vice-president will carry on the correspondence with the other colleges and arrange the schedule, while the Secretary will carry on the red-tape duties of arranging the schedule will the Dean's office, and will handle other internal correspondence.

The retiring officers this year were Thomas H. Quinn '36 as President, A. Gilman Sullivan '36 as Vice-President and Irving R. Murray '36, Secretary.

Rowe Coach

The Varsity debating season, which closed with a smashing triumph last Friday over both Yale and Princeton, has been an unusually successful one. The team has been coached by William Rowe, with occasional assistance from George Gore '34, Freshman mentor.

After the Princeton clash here Saturday, Rowe declared emphatically that the team was the best in his years as coach.