TEACHING VS. RESEARCH

The policy of the Administration with reference to the Physics department has been roundly condemned, and the deplorable condition of the field as it is run at present been revealed to prospective concentrators. There is no question but that the problem of teaching vs. research is a pressing one, and in the opinion of many it is being mishandled with most unfortunate results. There should always be reasons behind any policy, however, and in this matter there is something to be said for the Administration's methods.

The chief criticism of the department is that its personnel is chosen for the instructors' abilitics as research men, and if they have a predilection for teaching, they had better put it aside in favor of the laboratory. In the first place, it must be remembered that Physics is a progressive science, the material of which is constantly changing; consequently, if a man devotes all his energies to teaching, and refuses to do any research work at all, his knowledge must inevitably become out of date. Though he may impart it brilliantly, it depreciates in value if not continually infused with new material, and one way of doing this is through research. Furthermore, it is more than likely that an instructor's enthusiasm for his subject, and thus for teaching it, will be stimulated by his work in the laboratory.

In the second place, the annual turn-over of Physics instructors, which was strenuously objected to, is necessitated by the fact that the department is over-burdened with young men. There are not enough positions which can be filled by them, owing to life-appointments already held, for example, to justify their retention if they are not of the highest possible calibre. For it is not compatible with the policy of the Administration to keep a man as tutor or instructor for a long period of years, and then dismiss him if he is not to be promoted.

The policy thus resolves itself into a process of climination with the hope that in a few years the best possible set-up for this department will be attained. The process is an unfortunate one for Physics concentrators, in the meanwhile; only if this policy succeeds in bringing together a group of men who are good teachers and good research men, will it be in any way justified. In any case, it will be most disastrous for the field if a definite step is not taken at once to raise the teaching level.