NEW TEACHERS DEGREE IN ARTS AND SCIENCES

CONANT WILL HEAD COORDINATING BOARD

A new degree in teaching to be won by joint work in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and in the School of Education will be conferred starting next fall. This is the first time that the two schools have been joined.

To win the degree of Master of Arts in Teaching the student must study the theories of pedagogy at the School of Education and must also concentrate on the subject which he is going to teach. Also he will have to serve an apprenticeship in teaching. The same degree for women will also be administered at Radcliffe.

Board Coordinates Two Schools

An administrative board representing the two schools will have charge of the work for the new degree. It is to be made up of President Conant, George H. Chase '96, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, William E. Hocking '01, Alford Professor of Philosophy, William C. Graustein '09, Professor of Mathematics, Richard M. Gummere '07, Chairman of the Committee on Admissions, Henry W. Holmes '03, Dean of the Graduate School of Education, Francis T. Spaulding '16, Assistant Professor of Education, and Howard E. Wilson, assistant Professor of Education.

Up till now prospective teachers have had to decide whether they wished to master the theories of education or whether they wished to gain a complete knowledge of the field in which they were going to teach. This is the first time in any American university that the two methods of learning have been joined.