Sixteen Fellowships Awarded by Street Traffic Bureau to Policemen, Engineers

Courses in Engineering, Driving Control and Administration Will Be Given

Sixteen fellowships have been awarded for Harvard's new course in Street Traffic Research to police officers, traffic engineers, and motor vehicle administration officers from all over the country as well as one man from England. The awards carry a stipend of $1200 plus up to $200 for travel and field investigations.

Work will consist of four courses in engineering, traffic education, enforcement, motor vehicle administration, and driver control. In addition the students will carry on work in other departments of the university such as criminal law at the Law School, municipal administration, public speaking, and statistics.

There will be also field work of a detailed sort including traffic surveys, study of traffic problems, and work with the Massachusetts motor registrar's office, it is expected that practically the whole school will attend the National Safety Congress in Atlantic City next month.

Among the students enrollest are Robert S. Colquhon of London, England, who is Assistant Engineer for the Grester London Highway Development Survey, now engaged in preparing a highway development plan for the Leaden region. During his career he has held a number of important positions as assistant to engineers and town planning officers in England.

Another, is Russell J. Fisher of Des Moines, Iowa, who captained the Iowa University football team. Roger H. Gilman '36, another recipient of one of the fellowships, is studying at the school in order to become a traffic engineer. Among the enrolled students are two Yale graduates now registered at M.I.T., who are taking the two courses at the Traffic Bureau. Besides the 16 fellows, ten, additional men have registered for the school's opening year.

Six of those receiving awards are members of police departments, five are already of police departments, five are already acknowledge as authorities on the subject of traffic, and the remainder are identified with some phase of accident prevention effort. Most of them are on temporary leave and will return to their work at the conclusion of the year.

When the awards were announced the Bureau received more than 300 requests for application blanks. By the end of March 349 of the blanks were returned from 44 slates, Canada, Puerte Rice, and Czechoslovakia. All applicants had to have a degree representing four years work in an accredited college and had to be over 35 years old.

Faculty men are Miller McClinlock. Maxwell Haleey, Theodore Males, Henry De Silva, Wilfred Brown. Winfield Willers, and the libraries, Joseph Wright.