Architecture Students To Be Required to Take Six Months Apprenticeship Before Graduating

Hudnut Report Reveals Plan To Be Put In Operation Next Year by School

Plans to require students of architecture and landscape architecture to take an outside apprenticeship of at least six months before graduating were revealed yesterday in the annual report of Joseph F. Hudnut dean of the Graduate School of Design.

Dean Hudnut believes that this practical experience will be an important supplement to the students' work in the School. He said that the apprenticeship should comprise an immediate experience with work under construction rather than with the preparation of plans in an architect's office.

In Operation Next Year

Harvard will put the plan into operation at the beginning of the academic year 1938-39. Dean Hudnut reported that architects and contractors have given assurance that they will cooperate in this educational experiment.

The Graduate School of Design was organized in 1936 to coordinate the curricula of architecture, landscape architecture and regional planning.

Workshops

It is planned next year to establish workshops in the Department of Architecture, where students may obtain further practical experience with the fundamental processes of manufacture that are peculiar to buildings.

Another interesting development in connection with the work of the School of Design is the establishment of the undergraduate "Studio of Design" under the direction of the Division of Fine Arts. Here the instruction is not professional or technical in character but is concerned rather with an effort to supplement the teaching of the theory of design by practical applications. The students develop designs in three dimensions from various materials in order that they may become acquainted with the actual processes by which formal values are given to materials and to constructions.

The general supervision of the field work in the Department of Architecture will be under the direction of Jean G. Peter, instructor in Architecture, while the undergraduate studio will be under the direction of Robert D. Field '30 assistant professor of Fine Arts.