SCIENCE IS FUTURE HOPE FOR LIBERTY, SAYS BRUCE HOPPER

La Piana Also Talks Before League of Women Voters' School of Politics During Morning

Science is the future hope for the preservation of Liberty said Bruce C. Hoppes '24, associate professor of Government, in an address yesterday afternoon before the School of Politics conducted by the Massachusetts League of Women Voters.

If science is allowed to dictate in the new era, he believes, we will probably see a greater decentralization of all activism. In what might be called the second industrial revolution there would be five principal trends: a general movement away from cities, a splitting up of industry, a greater division in the ownership of property, a decentralization of government, and a regionalization in the control of all other institutions.

"All this," he said, "is in direct opposition to the theories of the economic planners who seem willing to sacrifice freedom in order to get security, even though Liberty consists of both."

Speaking of foreign affairs, he said that the United States and Russia are the only two countries feared by Japan.

I venture to believe that our role in the new era will be determined to a large extent by our relations with the Japan-China combination, with Russia looming ever larger and more important in our Fa Eastern policy."

Igiring the morning session, William L. Langer, Coolidge Professor of History, spoke on "The New Balance of Power." He stressed the belief that the nations who are at present supporting the "Status quo" should make sacrifices to Japan and the Rome-Berlin axis in order to prevent greater sacrifices later in the form of war.

George La Piana, John H. Morison Professor of Church History, spoke on the Vatican in international problems today, and predicted a stormy conflict between the Fascist and non-Italian forces in the next Conclave, which will meet in the event of Plus XI's death.