221 JUNIORS UNDER PLAN B TUTORIAL SYSTEM THIS YEAR

Finances, Student Aptitude Principal Reasons for Restricting System and Adding Course

In full swing for the first time, the University's newly initiated Plan B tutorial policy this year has claimed 221 of the 802 Seniors, dropped Juniors, and ocC's, who intend to be candidates for a degree in June, it was announced last night.

With 581 men still under Plan A, the ratio is approximately 2-1 in favor of full tutorial instruction, University officials declined to state if his was to be a permanent ratio, or if they expect to increase or diminish the number on modified tutorial in future years.

The number of men of Plan B is made more significant by the fact that 12 fields of concentration have not adopted the modified program. With the exception of History and Literature, these fields are comparatively small, with no more than 18 concentrators in any one of them.

Usually Group 5 Men on Plan B

Men are placed on B Plan at the end of their Sophomore year by the Department's recommendation. Although no absolute rule has been declared for minimum requirements for full tutorial, the Tutor's opinion and the marks of the student at Mid-years of his second year are the grounds for the division. Usually, men lower than Group four are placed on the Plan B rolls.

In place of full tutorial during the Junior and Senior years, students on Plan B. will meet less frequently with their tutor and cover less ground. In order to compensate for this omission, an extra course must be taken. This addition means a return to the course requirements up until 1932, 16 courses plus prescribed English in place of 15 and English A.

Officials emphasize the point that the modified system is felt to be better suited to many students, and that "the extra course should not be regarded as a penalty but as another way of approaching the same educational end."

Some Exceptions This Year

The University makes no charge for the extra course, except when the undergraduate lacks a course credit because of previous failure. Because members of the class of 1939 have previously aranged their courses, less stringent application of the extra course rule has been made in some instances.

In most departments, it isn't necessary for concentrators to be an honors candidate in order to remain in Plan A.

Tutorial Programs' Rlse and Fall

With the advent of Divisional examinations in 1916, tutorial instruction for upperclassmen increased steadily, reaching its peak in the '30's. Only Chemistry and Engineering Sciences failed to adopt tutorial in some degree.

Because of the expense of maintaining staffs large enough to carry the specialized work of tutorial, and because it was thought that some students were not adapted to this form of study, the University last year announced a modification of the program, terming their action as "the most important development during the year affecting the academic work of students in Harvard College."