CLASS OF '42 OBSERVES BIRTHDAY ON JULY 15TH

Average Age of 950 Freshmen Is 18 as 46 Per Cent Reach That Year; Three Are Over 23

Six members of the Freshman class are only 15 years old and three are over 23 among a group of 950 Yardlings who arrived at Harvard for the first time last September, a survey shows.

The average age of the entire class was 18 years, two months, and 14 days on October 1, making the relative birthday on July 15, 1920.

There were more boys under 16 this year than there have been for many years, it was indicated. The youngest, the son of a distinguished ambassador to the United States, was 15 only two months ago, while the oldest, a graduate of Arlington High School is nearing 24.

The six who were not yet 16 included one scholarship recipient and composed .62 percent of the class. Forty three were under 17, 4.48 percent of the entire aggregation. These 17 years old totaled 337 (35.14 per cent), while the 18-year-olds figured uppermost with a count of 442 and percentage of 46.09.

One hundred were under 20 (10.43 percent), 24 not yet 21 (2.5 percent). Four men claimed ages of 21, making up .42 percent of their class. There were none 22, but three 23 (percentage of .31).