THE LINEUPS

Harlow Highlight of Briggs Cage Affair; Four Victories Seen if Team Repeats Bengal Rout of Last Year

By Cleveland Amory

HARVARDPRINCETON Capt, Green (171) l.e.  r.e., Stanley (183) Healey (198) l.t.  r.t., Bokum (198) Mellen (175) l.g.  r.g., Herring (235) Russell (192) c.  c., Casey (190) Glueck (185) r.g.  l.g., Worth (190) Booth (194) r.t.  l.t., Tierney (220) Daughters (181) r.e.  l.e., Daniel (175) Wilson (185) q.b.  q.b., Jackson (160) Foley (160) l.h.b.  r.h.b., Capt. Mountain (165) Macdonald (178) r.h.b.  l.h.b., Allerdice (185) Gardella (170) f.b.  f.b., Lane (190)

Backed outwardly by 500 participants in Harvard's first rally in 13 years and inwardly by every student who has seen them fight their hearts out against four strong opponents, the Varsity football team will stand at the crossroads of the 1938 season this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The team faces an up-and-down Princeton eleven in its first season under Tad Wieman, an eleven who's outstanding achievements are a 13-0 victory over Pennsuylvania and a last-minute 13-13 tie with Navy last Saturday.

The crossroads it is, for the quartet of Crimson defeats will all be forgotten if the team swings into winning ways to open the second half of the campaign today. As Captain Green said at yesterday's rally, the Seniors on this year's team saw the turning point of two seasons against the Tigers, the 14-14 tie their Sophomore year and the 34-6 victory last year. It is no secret that Harvard has an excellent chance to finish the season four and four, if they take the high road today. If not, there still remain the hillwillies of Virginia carded for later on

By all means the highlight of the Briggs Cage rally was the talk y the east's top-ranking coach, Dick Harlow. He told how the spirit of the Army and Navy followers permeate their teams and how important is student feeling. "Our boys will remember this day as long as they live," he said to the gathering. "The boys on the team have never crabbed about bad breaks . . . We do have a great team this year."

Four Tough Tigers

As usual Harvard will be outweighed, 2089 total pounds to 1989, a nice round 100 lbs. Every one of the opposing linemen are six feet tall or more, but tops in Bengal beef are 6 foot 5 inch left tackle Tierney (226 lbs.) and left guard Herring 6 foot 1 inch (222 1bs).

Twin backfield stars of the invaders are Captain Tom Mountain, right halfback who does most of the ball-carrying and kicking and is probably the best defensive back the Crimson have faced, and Dave Allerdice, their forward passer who looked lop-sided against Navy since he played the whole game with a huge shoulder-brace.

Odds Vary

Paradoxically enough the victory-starved Harlowmen will enter the game on the long end of 9-5 odds, at least so the bookies quote around Cambridge. In New York, however, odds of 9-4 have been given on Princeton. Baltimore is for Harvard, judging from the wire read to yesterday's rally from Harvard's all-time football ace, W. Barry Wood '31. "I saw Princeton play Navy last Saturday," wired Wood, "Harvard will win." All-American center Bon Ticknor also wired victory.

Captain Green's team will go into the clash in their best physical condition since Brown, and for the first time since before Cornell, they have been through a mid-week scrimmage which should sharpen their tackling and blocking. As we have been saying for four successive Saturdays, watch the passing. Tailbacks Frank Foley and Austin Harding have never looked more deadly with the spirals than the week just passed. Watch Joe Gardella, sophomore fullback sensation and ranking with Cliff Wilson as the defensive satellite of the backfield.

For three games now Harvard has come out at the beginning of the second half in none too certain fashion. In fact the first couple of minutes of the third periods have been rather gruesome thus far. Perhaps today will gnaw more oranges and munch more lumps of sugar in the mid-game respite.

The weather man confidently predicted "complete clearing by noon" for the fray.

The National Broadcasting System with announcer Bill stern (who rendered last year's Navy and Yale games) will carry the game over Boston Station WBZ