SULLIVAN, 'KNIEED' BY G. O. P. CALLS LANDIS 'CARPETBAGGER'

Chastened and hoarse after a campaign which he lost by a handful of votes, Michael A. Sullivan, unsuccessful candidates for the state legislature, showed flashes of his old form yesterday afternoon when he said, "Landis is a carpetbagger who came here from the West and tried to tell the people of Cambridge how to run their own government."

The former city councilman, who three weeks ago expressed a longing for the good old days of town and gown fights and promptly had the crease taken out of his pants by Lampoon storm troopers, said in an interview yesterday that Plan E is for the present a dead issue.

Sullivan, who was nosed out by Republican Chester R. Swenson for assemblyman from the second district in Middlesex by a scant 200 votes had demanded a recount. "It probably won't change things," he said, "but I'll find out where all the dirt was thrown, where I got knifed."

Sullivan attributes his defeat to "too much Republican money" and Curley's weakness as head of the state ticket. "The Republicans were smart," he explained. "They knew Hurley would be a harder man to beat than Curley, so they pushed him out in the primaries."