500 Students Jam Emerson to Hear Faculty Speakers Flay Nazi Persecution, Adopt Resolutions Supporting President

Dean Sperry, Allport, Chafee, Bingham, Friedrich Speak; Mann Wire Read

Five hundred students who jammed Emerson D at noon yesterday to hear five University officers denounce Nazi racial persecution and urge United States action to aid its victims, unanimously adopted resolutions approving President Roosevelt's actions and recommending government aid to German refugees.

Speaking at the protest meeting which was sponsored by 11 student and faculty organizations with the Student Union as prime mover, were Dean Sperry, Zechariah Chafee, professor of Law, Gordon Allport '19, associate professor of Psychology, William Bingham '16, director of Physical Education, and Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government.

William Chambers '39, wielded the gavel at the overflow meeting.

Dean Sperry, who spoke first, urged monetary aid to Jewish refugees, warned that Americans must soberly face the possibility of a future war, and said in conclusion, "We have no right . . . to allow the present worth and the future promise of democratic society to be ground to dust between the upper and nether millstones which may well start turning in Europe."

Allport, describing the Nasi leaders as "perverted, psychotic, and near psychotic," pleaded for American alignment with the defenders of democracy. He was followed by Bingham, who said. "It is fitting that we should protest against the torture of a people who have contributed so much to the culture of the world."

Chafee Hits Intolerance

Professor Chafee recommended economic pressure on Germany to allow Jews to emigrate without being stripped of all their property, and said that our immigration quota should be enlarged. In conclusion he stated, "Whenever we meet intolerance in conversation, let's fight it; whenever we meet it in our own hearts, let's fight it."

"We do need charity; let us add a little bit of intelligent planning," Professor Friedrich concluded after pointing out concrete methods of aiding the refugees who are members of the professional classes.

At the commencement of the meeting Chambers read a telegram from Thomas Mann, noted German author now in self-exile at Princeton, in which he attacked Nazi leaders. "The German people are as peace-loving as any other," the telegram read.