Sixteen Lettermen Return as Track Shifts to Winter Work

Coach Mikkola Expresses A Need For Yardling Men in Most Squad Positions

Winter indoor track swung into its own yesterday afternoon, when 30 Varsity candidates including 16 lettermen, and 25 Freshmen, reported to Coaches Jaako Mikkola and Bill Neufeld for practice in the Briggs and Carey cages.

Six Seniors and ten Juniors made up the 16 who returned as lettermen: 440, Francis R. King '39, and James D. Lightbody, Jr. '40; mile, Roswell Brayton '39, and Eugene V. Clark '40; two mile, William P. Tuttle, Jr. '40; hurdles, John MacL. Johanson '39, and Mason Fernald '40; broad-jump, F. Rockwell Hollands '40.

Returning in the high-jump are Robert Haydock, Jr. '39, track captain, Irving S. Michelman '39, and Guilliaem Aertsen, 3d. '40; pole-vault, Frederick M. McIsaac '40; shot-put, Howard P. Mendel '40; and George A. Downing '40; javelin, Fulton L. Cahners '39; hammer, William J. Shallow '40. There are no lettermen in the sprints or half-mile.

Coach Mikkola when interviewed yesterday, claimed every expectation for a great indoor season in winter and spring. "All our men are in fine shape," Mikkola said, "especially the distance men, who are coming in from cross-country."

"Most important of all," he went on, "is our pressing need for all track and field men among the Freshmen. There are real openings for all positions on the Yardling squad, especially in the hurdles, javelin, and pole-vault."

Coach Mikkola went on to stress the opportunities open to Freshmen making good this season: "First-year men on the squad as well as the Varsities are eligible for the Harvard-Yale competitions late in the spring of '39. This dual meet determines trackmen who will go to England this summer to meet winners of an Oxford-Cambridge elimination. For the trip abroad, two men for each event will be chosen."

The main events for the Varsity during the winter season will be the Quadrangular meet on February 25, between Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, and Cornell and the IC4A indoor meet in New York on March 4.