Recalls Roosevelt On 'Crimson" in '02

Hull, Candidates for Representative, Was on Paper With Him and Bulkley 36 Years Ago

Among the candidates for public office in Massachusetts is George H. Hull '02, Republican candidate for the state legislature from the third Middlesex district, who worked on the CRIMSON with Franklin D. Roosevelt '04 when both were in college.

Also on the paper at this time was the present Democratic Senator from Ohio, Robert J. Bulkley '02, who is now running for re-election against Robert A. Taft, a graduate of the Law School in 1913.

Both Bulkley and Roosevelt went through the successive stages of competition on the board and became managing editor and president.

The passage of thirty-six years, Hull admits, has dimmed his memory about the two politicoes, but he recalls Roosevelt as "tall, slim and giving the general impression of a pleasing and agreeable personality." He described him as "a well-behaved young man." Bulkley was called Roy, he said.

The question of the University's tax-exemption was a burning one at the turn of the century as well as today, and Hull remembers being assigned by his managing editor to go down to City Hall and get material for a special article on the subject. Nothing came of the agitation by Cambridge officials at this time.

On the list of those who have endorsed his candidacy are Jerome D. Greene '97, Secretary to the Corporation, Richard M. Gummere, Dean of Admissions, and Richard C. Evarts '12, City Solicitor of Cambridge.

Hull is particularly interested in the question of civil service reform, having served as assistant secretary of the Massachusetts Civil Service Association. He claims that there are great abuses of the spirit of the law in the present administration in this state.

Arthur A. Ballautine '04, under-secretary of the Treasury under Hoover, and Joseph Clark Grew '02, ambassador to Japan, were also on the CRIMSON board with Hull, Roosevelt and Bulkley, he said.