Roosevelt Chosen In Final Interview For Rhodes Prize

Junior Only Harvard Man to Earn Honor Tie This Year; One of Four in New England

By William W. Tyng

The ability to read twelve languages was a major factor in winning for Archibald B. Roosevelt Jr. '40, one of the four Rhodes Scholarships given annually in the New England district. Coming from Cold Spring Harbor, N. Y., Roosevelt is a consistently brilliant scholar, and the only Harvard man to earn the award for this year.

After dancing until four o'clock in the morning the night before, at the Somerset Hotel, Roosevelt passed his final interview with the committee Saturday under flying colors. The other New England men to attain the honor were Vernon G. Lippitt, a graduate student at M.I.T., Harry H. Mitchell, a Senior at Yale, and Stanley E. Sprague, a Senior at Middlebury College.

Youngest Recipient

Roosevelt, the youngest recipient of the scholarships, was selected from a group of twelve finalists that the examining committee claimed to be the best that had ever contended for the New England district.

In an extracurricular way, Roosevelt is secretary of the independents, under graduate organization operating under the slogan of "the middle way." At present he is a member of the committee for the Latin American scholarships which is endeavoring to offer to Latin American students an opportunity to study at Harvard.

During the summers, he has attended the citizen's Military Training Corps Camps and has served for one year with the National Guard. His excursion into the realm of athletics has been limited to wrestling during the winter of his Freshman year.

Roosevelt is completing his college course in three years. Throughout his course he has kept his record untainted with C's and contrary to rumored reports, he attends the majority of his classes and studies hard.