II

In the 1936 Olympics it was a significant fact that swimming ranked next to track as the leading international sport. Of the four consistently outstanding college swimming teams in America, two Ohio State and Michigan, give swimming the status of a major sport. Yale gives it a partial major rating, but, Harvard, although its teams have often equalled any in the country in ability and achievement, does not recognize swimming as a major.

Within the past two years Harvard's swimmers have run up a string of eighteen victories, in which several national records were shattered Since the construction of the Indoor Athletic Building eight years ago, undergraduate interest has kept pace with the team's steady improvement. Close to capacity crowds attend all league meets, and last March seats could have been sold twice over for the Yale upset.

Use of the pool is as universal as support of the team. Through the compulsory requirement the University realizes the fundamental importance of swimming. General student interest is demonstrated by the growing popularity of House swimming, high points of which are the annual meets with Andover, Exeter, and the Yale College champions. Even individuals seek instruction from the coaches and varsity swimmers.

The fact that Harvard has the best pool in the East as well as one of the best teams adds extra weight to undergraduate desire for making swimming a major sport here. Such equipment will never be abandoned; it should be used to full advantage. It is fitting that Harvard take the lead in raising swimming to its just rank.