EMPLOYEES' UNION MEETS TO CONFIRM FINAL PLATFORM

Representative Association Admits 54 New Members; Total New 980; Many Waitresses Loyal

By Charles L. Bigelow

Apparently undismayed by A. F. of L. inroads on University employees, the Harvard University Employees' Representative Association met last night in the banquet Hall of the Elks' Building in Central Square to adopt a constitution and rededicate themselves to the principles of an inside union run by the employees for the employees.

James Fitzgerald, of the Maintenance Department, pro temporo president of the Association, let it be known at the end of the meeting that in the course of the evening he had accepted 54 new applications for membership, swelling the roll from 926 to 980, or approximately 36 percent of the total number of the service employees in the University.

The constitution, which had been decided upon Tuesday by the Constitution Committee and discussed and approved Thursday by the Organization Committee, was passed by the unanimous vote of the 304 members present. Attendance was considerably below the average owing to the confidence many of the members had in the officers elected by them on January 27.

The constitution provides for a "Labor Relations Board" this title is tentative which will investigate all grievances of members and take action with the University in the departments in which it is empowered to act. The board will be composed of representatives of each department of employees in the University. So far as possible all grievances will be ironed out by representatives of the department in which they originate.

The constitution sets dues of 25 cents a month, and it was indicated that these would not be raised and might possibly be lowered. Many waitresses expressed willingness to pay dues, regardless of the fact that the Association is not empowered to represent them, on the grounds that it would keep the idea of an inside union alive in the dining-halls.

In this connection, it was announced that no resignations have been received from dining-hall employees following the signing of the A. F. of L. contract January 30. On the contrary, it was stated, applications were still coming in from the dining-halls.

The constitution further stipulates that questions involving policy, affiliation or dissolution and strikes be decided by a majority vote of the full membership.