AF OF L THREATENS STRIKE AS RIVAL UNION ADVANCES

Organizer States AF of L Will Spare No Expense to Protect Selves--Inside Union Elects Officers

Harvard's labor situation grew tenser yesterday as the Harvard Employees Representative Association installed permanent members and dug themselves in for a long fight against the American Federation of Labor.

The A. F. of L., which holds sole bargaining rights for the kitchen and dining hall workers and is struggling for control of the building service employees, appeared only too aware that the Association was threatening its held on University labor.

Joseph Stefani, speaking for Locals 112 and 186, told the CRIMSON last night that if the Association persisted, "we'll refuse to work with 'em." Following a vote at a plenary session of his unions, the A. F. of L. majority of cooks and waitresses would strike, he said.

Referring to yesterday's election, Stefani went on, "We know exactly who votes and how they vote." Refusing to dwell on his espionage system, he would say only that "expense means nothing when we are protecting the rights of our people."

Those elected by the Association were: William Bunyon (Caretaker) as President; Wellington A. Bruce (Maintenance) as Vice-President; Albert Coates (Caretaker) as Treasurer; and William J. McGovern (Printing) as Secretary. Voting was held at the union's offices, 1109 Massachusetts Avenue, from one to 7 o'clock yesterday. The poets will carry no salary and will expire on March 1, 1939.

At a meeting held last night in Elks' Hall, Central Square, it was revealed that membership had reached 1,100, although only 800 had paid their dues to date, 200 of these were waitresses, Eliot House, the Freshman Union and the Faculty Club being Association strongholds.