ALLEN, STRUCK, DAMPEER WIN

Sullivan, Tobin, Strider, Curtiss Win Posts of Class of 1939; Five-Vote Margin Separates Fourth Through Seventh Man in Balloting

In the biggest and closest Senior election for more than a decade, C. Russell Allen, of Greenfield, was elected First Marshal, Vernon H. Struck, of Centralia, Illinois, Second Marshal, and John L. Dampeer of Cleveland, Ohio, Third Marshal. A margin of only 14 votes separated the three leaders. Exactly 582 ballots were cast.

George von L. Meyer, of Hamilton, was chosen Treasurer in a close seven-man race. Other winners were Wiley E. Mayne, of Sanborn, lowa, named Orator, Robert W. Snyder, of Easton, Pennsylvania, Chorister, and John S. Bainbridge, of New York City, Poet. Morris Earle, of New York City, was rolled into the office of Odist by a majority of 113 votes over his nearest competitor.

Closest election of all was the 14-man Junior Album competition. Those elected were Robert M. Bunker, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, with 223 votes, Richard H. Sullivan, of Marietta, Ohio, with 215, James Tobin, of Champaign, Illinois, with 179, Robert E. L. Strider, 2d, of Wheeling, West Virginia, with 165, and Harold M. Curtiss, Jr., of Milford, with 164. Between the fourth and the seventh man in the 1939 race there was a margin of just five votes.

In his Freshman year, Allen was a member of the football and baseball teams, was captain of the hockey team, and was a member of the Union Committee. In his upperclass years he has been a member of the Student Council for two years and the Winthrop House Committee for three years. He is president of the Undergraduate Athletic Council and a member of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports.

A three-letterman in both football and basketball, Struck is at present captain of the latter. Like Allen, he has been a member of the Student Council for two years and a member of his House Committee for three. He is at present chairman of the Adams Committee. He was Biography Chairman of the Album Committee and has won the Francis H. Burr and Henry B. Rogers scholarships. On Tuesday it was announced that he would be assistant backfield coach of the 1939 Varsity football team.

John L. Dampeer was Freshman captain of basketball and has been a letterman for three years. For two years a member of the Student Council, he is also Album Committee chairman and Second Marshal of Phi Beta Kappa. He has won the Harvard College National Scholarship for four years and the Henry Detur Fellowship in his Sophomore year.

Highpoints in the careers of the other winners are as follows: George von L. Meyer, captain of the 150-pound crew. Wiley E. Mayne, Secretary of the Student Council and President of the Inter-House Athletic Council, Robert W. Snyder, President of the Pierian Sodality and Conductor of the Band, John S. Bainbridge, a member of the Lampoon, and Morris Earle, former President of the CRIMSON, Manager of soccer, and a member of the Student Council. How They Voted MARSHAL *C Russell Allen  224 *Vernon H. Struck  216 *John L. Dampeer  210 Joseph P. Kennedy  190 Francis Keppel  187 Harold van B. Cleveland  161 George F. Lowman  139 Edward L. Barnes  133 Caspar W. Weinberger  122 George F. Roberts  73 TREASURER *George von L. Meyer, 3d  105 Richard T. Davis  103 Peter T. Brooks  90 Richard O. Ulin  87 H. Shippen Goodhue  69 David Emerson  52 Oglesby Paul  49 CHORISTER *Robert W. Snyder  232 Benjamin Welles, 2d  143 David H. Kimball  102 Secor D. Browne  68 ODIST *Morris Earle  226 James C. Higgins  113 Stanley A. Miller  109 John M. Graham  86 ORATOR *Wiley E. Mayne  129 John L. Calvocaressi  109 John A. Sullivan  89 Jose K. P. deVaron  88 Lyman B. Burbank  86 Richard W. Sullivan  53 POET *John S. Bainbridge  177 Richard W. Tregaskis  101 Alan S. Geismer  95 William W. Appleton  77 David F. Parry  78 RATIFYING CONSTITUTION Yes  299 No  133 1939 ALBUM ELECTION *Robert M. Bunker  223 *Richard H. Sullivan  215 *James Tobin  179 *Robert E. L. Strider, 2d  165 *Harold M. Curtiss, Jr.  164 Robert T. Gannett, 2d  163 W. Scott Long, Jr.  160 Laurence S. Johnson  134 Wendell N. Calkins  133 Frank P. Davidson  129 Robert W. Bean  125 Calvin W. Stillman  116 Charles D. Dyer, 3d  111 David W. Nussbaum  78 *Elected