Skip Stahley Announces Tentative Lacrosse Lineup

PROSPECTS GOOD

With the opening game of the season less than a week away, Skip Stahley has been rapidly shaping up his Varsity lacrosse team. Taking advantage of the good weather, the stickmen have been able to scrimmage much earlier than usual. As a result the team should make a better showing on its vacation trip than it did last year.

Hefty Goalie

Hank Riecken, a big 200-pound Junior, is holding down the goalie position for the second year, with Jerry Cook pressing him hard. At the points Ralph Livingston, a veteran, and Sophomore Norm Blotner are the leading candidates. Blotner is a rugged ten second man who did well as a Freshman and seems to be headed for a great season this year. Ben Wilcox and Dick Lewis are other possibilities here.

Joe Magurn, another veteran, looks best at first defense as does Eddie Greble, a Sophomore. Both men make up for a lack of weight with speed and shifty running ability. Greble was a high scorer on his Freshman team.

Attack Trio

The battle for the attack positions has been strongly contested. To date the experienced trio of Captain Tommy Campion, Torrey Baker, and Jerry Hunsaker, are slated to get the starting call. However, Jim Doughty, captain of the Yardlings last year, Frank Downey, Gordy Halstead and Jess Willard will see plenty of action, judging from their present performances. Irving Shephard and Charles Hammond are fairly secure in the home positions.

Scott, Cleveland Out

Other men who may be selected to make the trip are Ed Behr, Lee Bird, Ben Ferris, Bill Flinn, Jim Sullivan and Bill Tonner. Hal Cleveland and Bob Scott are valuable members of last year's championship team who will be unable to go. They expect to return after vacation and should strengthen the team considerably.

The squad leaves Sunday for Philadelphia where they will play Pennsylvania on Tuesday. Penn boasts a stronger team than usual. They opened their season with a 10-6 victory over the Philadelphia Lacrosse Club. Maryland and Navy, who furnish the remaining opposition, are expected to be even stronger than Penn. Despite the strength of the opposition the Stahleymen, holders of the Eastern Intercollegiate title, are heading south confident that they will give a good account of themselves.