McGill Union Renews Resolutions for Prohibiting Talk by Communist Buck

Legal Counsel Fears Red Speech Is Illegal Under Quebec Padlock Law

From the McGill Daily

Montreal, Mar. 3 -- Last evening about 400 McGill students at a meeting of the student society decided to rescind a former motion which opened the McGill Union to an address by the Communist speaker Tim Buck.

The meeting passed a motion which declared that Tim Buck could be heard provided that this could be "done in conformity with the law." Following this there was much discussion concerning the legality of the use of the McGill Union for the purposes of a Tim Buck meeting.

The majority felt that to hear Tim Buck speak would be quite legal, but the University Counsel had given his opinion that such a meeting would be in contravention to the Provincial Padlock Law which declares the propagation of Communism illegal in the Province of Quebec.

Therefore the meting passed the following resolution: "Resolved, That the Students' Executive Council refuse to make available any of the facilities over which it has jurisdiction for purposes which are advised by the University Counsel to be illegal."

Thus, the original stand of the Students' Council made on February 16, deciding to remain within the law, was upheld. However, two resolutions protesting the Padlock Law to the Provincial and Federal governments still stand on the minutes of the McGill student society.

On the former occasion the McGill Daily felt that the Provincial Government was forbidding interested people from hearing the case against Fascism.