SALMEN SECRETARY TO 1942 ADVISORY BOARD

Supplements Resident Counselor Work Under New Program Announced by Dean Leighton

As another step in his program of advisory reform, Dean Leighton announced yesterday that Stanley C. Salmen '36 had been appointed Secretary to the Board of Freshman Advisers.

According to Dean Leighton's memorandum to Advisers sent out September 23, part of Salmen's duties will make him available "for special supervisory work with Freshmen" bothered by academic troubles. His work will also supplement that of the Resident Advisers.

In reforming the advisory system last April, the Dean of Freshmen drew up a list of specific duties for all Advisers, which included five interviews with advisees during the year and the holding of at least two office hours per week.

While reducing the number of Advisers from 84 to 60, the Dean made it plain that University Hall recognized Freshman advising as part of the teaching lead. For the first time a small number of part-time instructors were to receive direct payment for advising, and Tutors who were Advisers were to have a reduction in their tutorial load.