WEDGE IN THE ETHER

When the radio was invented a short time ago, Harvard rightly viewed it with misgivings and adopted for itself and for undergraduate organizations a stern policy which only now shows signs of decay. Steadfastly the University has refused to allow its varsities of advertise gasoline or its publications to sell out the name of Harvard. And yet, paradoxically enough, the opening wedge of commercialism now comes from the University itself.

For three years the Committee on University Broadcasting has been arranging programs for Station WIXAL and the latest product of the Committee's high-brow ingenuity is "the Harvard University Series." Although designed to be of general educational interest, the program calls for professors from each of the graduate schools to discuss their work. And more and more these Harvard-trained Harvard professors have tended to stray from the main and to describe in detail how we do things here at Harvard. Despite its worthy goal, the Series is rapidly entering the twilight of advertising and is setting a dangerous precedent.

Harvard does not need advertising, nor is it probable that this generation will ever see Harvard in need of it. It is conceivable that, attacked by a hostile legislature or beleagured by a hostile press, the University may have to appeal someday to the good sense of the public. Radio advertising will be the proper medium, and directed by professionals it will not fail to have a profound effect. Until that day comes, amateur publicists should refrain from further imposing Harvard's well-known superiority on an already resentful public.