WORKERS STRIKE FOR SECOND TIME IN SEVEN WEEKS

College Food Shortage on Account of Boston Truck Strike Not Imminent, Says Dining Hall Manager.

If Harvard faces a food shortage as a result of the Boston area truck strike, one of the places students will be unable to go to augment dining hall fare is the Harvard Square Georgian Cafeteria, for after a six weeks' truce 40 of the Georgian's 47 employees walked out Saturday night and the management has closed up shop.

But a College food shortage seems unlikely unless all supplies are shut off from Cambridge by the striking truck drivers. Roy W. Westcott, manager of the College dining halls announced last night that since Harvard is on the "preferred" list with hospitals and other institutions, and since the dining halls are well stocked with canned goods and potatoes, no serious trouble is expected.

The Georgian strike, called by local 106 of the Cooks and Pastry Cooks Union, A. F. of L. affiliate which organized Harvard dining hall employees last year came as a result of an alleged refusal by the management to abide by a State Arbitration Board ruling, a ruling which both sides had previously agreed to accept as final.

Strike Six Weeks Ago

Labor trouble at the popular rendezvous of local cafe society came to a head six weeks ago when employees struck for a 25 percent wage increase, a 48 hour week, and a vacation with pay. They went back to work two days later when representatives of employers and employees signed an agreement agreeing to submit the dispute to the State Board, "whose decision shall be final and binding on both parties."

The Board's ruling, made on December 29, awarded the workers a 10 per cent increase in wages, a 48 hour week, and deferred the vacation question until sometime later. But, according to Joseph Stefani, business manager of local 106, the management refused to accept the agreement and is demanding a review of the case.

"Our idea is to enforce the agreement; that's all," he said. Verne Philbrook, president of the Georgian chain, could not be reached for a statement yesterday.

Although the Student Union as a whole has taken no stand on the strike, the Labor Committee promptly swung into action, providing the strikers with food and a headquarters, and circulating petitions enlisting student support in the Houses and the Yard.