Tunis Optimistic Over New Group For Athletic Rules

Accused Crimson of Subsidizing But Now Relies On Big Three To Change System

John Tunis '11, investigator and critic of Big Three football, is optimistic about the new Inter-University Committee on Eligibility announced by the Presidents of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton last weekend, according to a statement to the CRIMSON yesterday.

In an article in the American Mercury a few weeks ago, Tunis accused the Big Three of indirectly subsidizing players and disregarding the Presidents' Code of 1916 which regulates their intercollegiate athletic relations.

Accepts Agreement

"All rules can be broken. All rules have been broken. However, I am enough of an optimist to accept the new agreement between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton to head off the spreading corruption of inter-collegiate athletics at its face value," Tunis said yesterday.

Tunis, however, still doubts the intentions of the athletic mentors of the country's well-known collegiate trio.

"The question remains whether there is any sincere intention to enforce rules or whether violations of these rules will be winked at as they have in the past. Only time can tell," Tunis concludes.

The article in the Mercury particularly charged that Harvard was using the Varsity Club and its facilities as an inducement to players and as an indirect subsidy to gridiron stars.