WHAT'S HIS NUMBER?

By D. D. P.

Gangway for the Quakers of 1939, a veritable well of untapped gridiron power! The new deal in Penn football began last fall when the Red and Blue gridiron warriors stunned the football world with an upset victory over Cornell's mighty Big Red

That was the last game of the year for proud Penn under the Munger-Crowther-Odell coaching regime, and although the result was an upset, it was no fluke. The inspired Quakers played the favored Redmen off their feet, and it looks like they intend to continue their victory march this year.

Frank Reagan

A transplanted Harlow system is just starting to take effect at Franklin Field, and the ponderous Penn juggernaut ought to be rolling full blast by this weekend. Featured in their offense is colorful, cocky, and competent Frank Reagan, who does just about everything well. He is equally at home at cutting inside a tackle, skirting a distant flank, throwing yard-consuming passes to a cohort, or getting off high, booming kicks.

The punt for Reagan is a real offensive weapon, because he is especially adept at catching the opposition napping with a quick boot over the safety man's head. Reagan will take a chance on anything, and his daredevil plays and blazing speed will lift Crimson followers on their seats many times Saturday.

Three Fullbacks

Pennsylvania uses the Harlow offense to a great extent, but its use is modified by the material on the squad. Chizmadia, Connell, and Rainwater are three lucking backs who generate power aplenty. They are all too big to become accomplished spinners so they just lower their heads and ram into the line for their yardage. It's much loss complicated that way, and there are three of them to alternate at the thankless task. So you'll see less spinning from the Quakers than from the Crimson, but more plays on a direct pass from center.

They did not uncover much in subduing the Lafayette and Yale threats, apparently being content to get a touchdown and let the hapless opposition wear itself out against a rock-ribbed line. One Wexler to Gustafson heave did the business Saturday against the Blue, and the Crimson are certain to see more of this combination in Soldiers Field.

The Line

When it comes to the line, it's actually sing a song of sixpence, because line mentor Rae Crowther can trot out a horde of big and active forwards. The first front wall averages 195 pounds from end to end, and the reserves are every bit as big. The three ranking ends, Captain Gustafson, Warner, and Miller are rangy and hard to circle. The tackles are headed by Yard, Cohen, Runte, and Engler--841 pounds of tackle material all told.

Two of the four best guards, Brechta and Mendelson, are of the watchcharm variety, but they can afford to give away some weight. The other two, Hunt and Smith, are a pair of big, active fellows. The center, Frick, is a terror, and his reserve, Snyder, is far above the average.

Quakers On A Spree

The Quakers have not clicked in their two opening games, but anytime now the tide gates may fall and let loose an avalanche of blazing, whirling Reagans and a trio of battering rams who are listed on your program as fullbacks. They are long overdue for a real scoring spree, because man for man the Penn gridiron edition of 1939 is a real power-house.