Ex-President Lowell Urges Repeal of Arme Embargo in Letter to Congress

Says Ban is "Detrimental" and "Practically Hostile" to Sea Powers

Former President A. Lawrence Lowell entered the neutrality debate at Washington yesterday, urging immediate repeal of the "detrimental" arms embargo in a letter which was published in the Congressional Record.

Letter in Congressional Record

Dr. Lowell's letter asserted that the embargo is "practically hostile to the belligerents that control the sea" and further stated that no neutrality legislation could "absolutely prevent the possibility of events that might cause our citixens to regard war as less evil than the alternative presented by some belligerent."

Three "possible objectives" of the neutrality bill were described as follows:

"1. To keep us out of war. This desire is well-night universal among American citizens.

"2. Not to cut off arbitrarily from the free governments all possibilities of obtaining such supplies as it has been hitherto customary for belligerents to obtain from neutrals in time of war.

"3. To maintain so far as possible the status of neutrals in war. this last is, probably, out of the question at the present time, for there are new to recognized neutral rights whatever; and since the world war we have made no serious attempts to establish such right."