STALKING THE TIGER

Last Saturday, when Harvard lost to Dartmouth, probably even the dumbest Betty Co-ed in the stands realized that the Crimson team hadn't even started to roll. The sad fact was that it had not made one first down. As a Monday morning answer for the Dartmouth rout, Boston sports writers launched an acid personal attack on the leaders of the H.A.A., Harlow and Bingham especially. In fact, a typical mid-season bout of asparagus-throwing has followed Saturday's game. Some carping alumni are even criticizing the spirit of the players, and yelling for Harlow to turn in his sweatshirt.

This all-around unpleasant situation is actually futile, for it can only succeed in provoking some righteous indignation around the Union; aside from that it will have no effect. Such attacks can only break their force on the solid rock of undergraduate support of the team and its coaches. Those who are closest to the team, the students of the College, have only the highest praise for Dick Harlow and the spirit of the players he works with. With this spirit, it is not pure wishful thinking to expect that the rest of the season will show a decided improvement. Last year the Princeton game was the turning-point, and it may well prove to be so again this year. The team probably senses that this is the feeling of the great mass of undergraduates, but more than that is needed. If actions ever speak louder than words or even good wishes, they will do so at the send-off planned for the team on Thursday afternoon. Here is a chance for every undergraduate who wishes the team well to show just how he feels.