China Will Stay Strongly United States Gardner

Ass't Professor of Chinese Calls Nation's Hatred of Japs "Intensified"

"China would stand united even without Chiang Kai-shek," Charles S. Gardner, assistant professor of Chinese, stated yesterday.

According to Gardner, who returned in September from a nine months' stay in Poking, Chinese hatred for the Japanese has been intensified by the invaders' terroristic policy of indiscriminate bounding.

Find Withdrawal Difficult

Gardner reports that the Japanese "can hardly afford to remain long under present conditions, but withdrawal is difficult without serious loss of prestige."

The Japanese, who so far have succeeded in destroying neither the Chinese government nor any considerable Chinese army, have failed also, Gardner stated, in their attempts at economic exploitation, thereby putting themselves in "a more difficult dilemma."

"Meanwhile," the assistant professor commented, "the Chinese feel that they are fighting what may prove to be the first phase of a world conflict between democracies and dictatorships, and they look forward with confidence to victory if they are not denied support from Great Britain and the United States."

Gardner reported that, of the seven institutions in China affiliated with the Harvard Yenching University in Peking, only one has remained within the zone now occupied by the Japanese. The bombing of some buildings of the West China Union University, also connected with the Yenching Institute, was an indication that even those colleges which are not within Japanese territory are facing danger.