Untried Varsity Swimmers Face Crack Alumni Mermen in Pool Meet Tonight

Hutter and Greenhood to Race Alma Mater; Yardlings Oppose M.I.T.

By Charles N. Pollak ii

Hal Ulen's swimmers will face their first obstacle tonight-and it will be a formidable one-when they encounter a star-studded Alumni aggregation featuring two former Crimson captains, Charles G. Hutter '38 and E. Russell Greenhood '39. The Varsity meet, starting at 8:30 o'clock will be preceded by the Freshmen's contest with the M.I.T. Freshmen at 7:30.

In the 150-yard medley relay will be Crosby Keller '38, backstroke, Greg Jameson '37, HARVARD's greatest breastroker, and probably Don Barker '38, one of the best 50-yard men Ulen over developed. The Varsity will enter Dick Harris, Jack Waldron, and Nod Goldwasser. The 220 free-style will find Frank Coloman '38, formerly a five-minute quarter-miler, and Bert Howell '36 opposing the extremely dangerous combination of Varsity Captain Erie Cutler and Frannie powers.

The 50 promises to be the most hotly contested event of the evening. Charlie Hutter and George Scott '34 will meet Art Bosworth and Dave Stearns in the two-lap sprint. Scott who has been improving ever since he left college, and who beat Hutter last year, has been fast in practice time trials. Although he may well thrash out another win, all four men should finish within a half-second.

Rusty Greenhood is favored to take the dive against Chef Sagenhahn and George Dana. Last Year's leader and League champion has been seen around the pool three times a week for several months. His diving-mate will be Roulding Burbank '28, who last year sent the spectators and himself into convulsions with his horizontal entries.

Jim Curwen, with an as yet unnamed teammate, will face Scott and possibly Hutter in the 100 while Swede Johnson and Al Mathis are to swim against Keller and possibly Gus Lateur Stanford '38, in the 100 backstroke. The latter may be booed as a "ringer" but no one will deny that he is an alumnus, the Alumni leaders have asserted. Darle Berizzi '38, ebullient breastroker who has a physique like a tree trunk and Jameson will butterfly against Waldron and Max Kraus in a four-lap event.

The The final 200-yard free-style relay may have almost anyone in it. But if the meet is close Coach Ulen will pit Powers, Bosworth, Curwen, and Stearns against the Alumni quartet.