Swing Music Is Recent Acquisition of Theatre Collection in Widener Library

Study of Popular Recordings To Be Conducted by Mrs. L. A. Hall, Custodian

Swing music has been given official recognition with the addition of popular recordings to the Theatre Collection in Widener Library under the direction of Mrs. Lillian A. Hall, Custodian of the Theatre Collection.

Mrs. Hall has announced that she has devoted $250 of the Rogers Fund, which is at the disposal of the Theatre Collection, to buy popular recordings which can be studied systematically by made students and ordinary jitter-bugs.

The recordings will be played weekly at regular sessions at which different bands will be heard playing the name compositions. The recitals will be organized into an unofficial course which under the sponsorship of the Music Department may be added to the regular curriculum.

At present the listeners will be asked to comment informally on the various differences in the treatment of popular compositions and the soloists will come in for special consideration along with the "song stylists" or crooners.

The collection now includes selections played by various organizations headed by Tommy Dorsey, Paul Whiteman, Guy Lombardo, Duke Eliongton, and Skinny Enais. Widener will resound to such songs as "Thanks for the Memory," and "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby."

Records show that the latest interest in swing music is in direct contrast to music policy in 1842 when John Knowles Paine first organized a music course despite the fears of the Corporation that even a choir would district students from religion.