70 Sign Petition Urging Hicks' Retention As Faculty Member

Petition Lauds His Communism; Says It Gives Unrepresented Point of View

Emphasizing his ability as a critic and a teacher, a petition urging the retention of Granville Hicks '23, Counsellor in American History, had obtained over 70 signatures late yesterday after an afternoon of circulation.

Four members of Hicks' American Civilization Group instigated the petition on the belief that attention fecused on his Communist views had over shadowed assessment of his teaching ability. The students who are circulating the petition are Calvin W. Stillman '39, Kenneth T. Young '39, Marvin G. Barrett '42, and Allon R. Clark '42.

Last September Hicks was appointed for a one year term with six others on the understanding, according to the University, that the term would expire at the end of the year.

"Leftist" Views Not Represented

It is felt by those sponsoring the petition that either he should be retained in his present position or that a new post be found for him, since his "Leftist" critical opinions "are not represented elsewhere in the Harvard community."

Before filing the petition with the President or the Corporation Friday the sponsors hope to get well over 200 signatures of Faculty and students.

The petition states: "In view of the facts that Granville Hicks has smply demonstrated his distinction as a critic and teacher, that he has contributed all this year to the curricular and extra-curricular life of Harvard and that he represents a serious critical point of view not represented elsewhere in the Harvard community, we, students and officers of Harvard University, without necessarily subscribing to his political philosophy, petition that he be seriously considered for any suitable teaching appointment available at Harvard in the fields in which he is trained, and that, if no such appointments are available, the possibilities of creating a special appointment for him be explored."