Government Interneships Are Offered To Graduate Student and Two Seniors

Bullen, Maisel, Shooshan Given Opportunity for Federal Training

Fred Bullen 1G, Sherman J. Maisel '39 and Harry M. Shooshan '39 have been awarded governmental interneships by the National Institute of Public Affairs it was announced yesterday.

The terms of the N. I. P. A. offer the recipients positions for ten months from September 1939 to June 1940 with one of the major government departments in Washington. They will serve without compensation and will be expected to pay their own expenses.

Working directly under the executives of the department, the winners of the award will be given an opportunity to learn the process of administration without going through the subordinate positions of the Civil Service. The award is made following interviews with the leading men in the field of the Social Sciences on the basis of scholarship and personality.

Also provided for in the interneships is the opportunity to study in various fields in the American University. Tuition for special night classes will be paid by the N. I. P. A. and a large curriculum of courses in government administration will be presented.

Bullen, a government concentrator in the Graduate School has been offered the position of Public Service Fellow, while Maisel who majors in Economics will hold the position of Economics Follow, and Shooshan whose field is Government will be called a Government Follow.

Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Professor of Government expressed the opinion that the award was one of the really constructive ways of training administrators and hoped that it would expand to include more ranking students in the near future.