HARD-HITTING NINE TACKLES TERRIERS

Lupien, Johns, Fulton, Grondahl, and Hoye Lead Slugging Crimson Varsity With Averages Well Over .300

By Theodore R. Barnett

With star hurler and captain Bob Leahy sidelined by a chipped elbow, MelCollard's mediocre Boston University nine are due for their third defeat of the season at the hands of Harvard's smooth-playing, slugging 1939 varsity batsmen on Soldiers Field today.

Ace hurler Tom Healey will too the rubber for the Crimson, and will probably share mound duties with Slim Curtiss. Both pitchers are fresh from Eastern League triumphs, and have had far more opportunity to approach mid-season form than the ice-bound Terrier flingers.

Healey Control Superb

Healey has proven himself a worthy rival of Yale's Moe Jubitz and Dartmouth's Hal Wonson by his six-hit performance in the Columbia tussle and his four-hit masterpiece in whitewashing Princeton. In his last two games, the big pitcher has passed three men, and allowed only one extra base knock.

Curtiss has begun to realize potentialities latent since his Freshman year as his standout work in baffling the University of Pennsylvania nine Saturday in Philadelphia indicates.

Hoar on Mound for B. U.

Sophomore southpaw Charlie Hoar, slated to get the nod from Coach Collard, is bound to have a nightmare in broad daylight when he faces Harvard's high-powered murderer's row, which boasts five .300 hitters.

Leading the Red terrors is Lupe Lupien, with a six-game average of .423. Captain Art Johns is close on his heels with .417. Bob Fulton is next with .368, followed by Grondahl and Hoye with substantial .333 percentages to their credit.

Gridiron captain and center last fall Johnny Walker is backstop for the Scarlet and White outfit. Walker and third baseman Johnny "Yama" Quinn may provide puncherino for the Terrier lads.

Boston University has lost its only two games this spring, to Rhode Island State, 5 to 2, and to Tufts, 10 to 8. The ragged infielding which partly accounted for these defeats will handicap the Boston team from the start. HARVARD  B. U. Johns, 2b  rf, Denisvitch Gannett, cf  lf, Di Nubla Grondahl, 3b  1b, Rotman Lupien, 1b  3b, Quinn Hoye, lf  c, Walker Tully, rf  cf, Hardiman Fulton, c  ss, Conaty Keyes, ss  2b, Conaty Healey, p  p, Hoar