150-Pound Oarsmen Go Ahead of Yale, Princeton to Capture Goldthwait Cup

Fast Spurt at Beginning Gives Hainesmen Needed Lead in Lake Carnegie Race

Bert Haines's prize package 150 pounders lived up to all hopes last Saturday as the first boat nosed out the Eli lightweight crew by a third of a length on Lake Carnegie to take the Goldthwait Cup. The Princeton crew was left three lengths in the wake.

With a superbly fast start, Vince Bailey paced the fifties out to a deek-length lead immediately at a beat of forty. From then on the Crimson crew gradually lengthened the lead until the half-mile mark at a 36, where it settled down to a stroke far lower than its opponents and kept its position to the end of the race.

Earlier in the afternoon the second 150's had trimmed the Yale lightweight Jayvees by a handy two and a half lengths, and at a time which puts both the Crimson Varsity and the Jayvees on a fairly even footing.

The dead water on the Princeton course makes the stroking for the race far more difficult than under ordinary circumstances.

The Varsity Boating: Bailey, stroke; Turner, seven; Pierce, six; Gifford, five; Hazard, four; Croker, three; Koenjger two; Gilkey, bow; and Larner, cox.