RECOGNITION OF RIFLERY AS MINOR SPORT ADVOCATED

Student, Council and Undergraduate Athletic Committee Present Joint Proposal to Sports Committee

As an opening wedge towards better facilities for the Rifle Team, the Student Council, in collaboration with the Undergraduate Athletic Committee, has recommended to the Committee on Regulation of Athletic Sports that Riflery be recognized as a minor sport by the Athletic Association.

This move would not hold the H. A. A. liable for any financial aid to the Rifle Team, nor would letters be given to members of the team unless they won the Intercollegiate Rifle Match it was pointed out. There would, however, be considerable improvement in the present facilities and standing of the Rifle Team.

At the present time the team has very limited time for practice in the basement of Memorial Hall. It is hoped that if Riflery is recognized as a minor sport, the H. A. A. will arrange with the Department of Naval Science for more extensive practice time and better equipment.

It is also hoped that there will be far more extensive coaching facilities. These will enable the Rifle Team to make greater progress and possibly letters may be given within a few years by the H. A. A. Thus Riflery will become a fully authorized minor sport with far larger membership and equipment.