REVERBERATIONS

There has been rioting in the streets before. There have been tax quarrels and American Legion disturbances. But never yet in three centuries of Harvard have relations with Cambridge been in such an awful state of collapse. The current ruction has its background in the refusal of President Conant to give the city a hundred thousand dollar financial crutch. The action of the piece, however, is the unhappy participation of Harvard students in the memorial services at Weeks Bridge. As a result of this, there are signs of a storm.

It is unfortunate that many Cambridge citizens with have to form their opinions from the Boston Herald's colorful front-page "editorial" on the subject. They may come off with an impression of Harvard sharp-shooters picking off soldiers who stood at attention in honor of the dead. They may have a picture of unruly mobs of students jeering the services, insulting their country, desecrating the shrines of memory. Certainly they will not realize that any actual rioting was completely divorced from the ceremonies, that it was provoked just as much by the Kerry Corner Kids as by the students.

Nevertheless, the citizens of Cambridge have a right to protest over what happened. There were other disturbances at the ceremonies--the barrage of giant crackers at the elevens hour for example--which cannot be explained away. Allowances can be made for wholesome high spirits and all that sort of thing. But no allowances are possible for such treading on the solemn emotions and the ideals of other people.

This is merely a question of decency and courtesy in which no students need any instruction. To most people the Veterans of Foreign Wars or the American Legion have a vital meaning. If some students disagree, they should be polite enough to keep it in the family. Again, there are certain emotions and fetiches--memory for the dead, patriotism--which the ordinary American holds sacred. This ground should be inviolate, and no one should lightly trespass.

Water fights in Winthrop House may be fine. Everyone has a good time and no bystanders are harmed unless they walk out of doors carelessly. But let these little affairs stay inside the court. Once outside they may come up against senses of humor which are not hyper-developed like those of college students. Harvard and Cambridge are mated, even though they may be incompatible. Reality says to each to make the best of it.