HARLOW STRESSES PRECISION, SPEED IN PRACTICE SESSION

Sophomore End Receives Red Jersey; Lovett and Koufman in First Team Positions

As a relief from four consecutive days of scrimmage, the Varsity football team yesterday ran through an easy drill with live tackling practice the only contact work. Precision and finesse were the afternoon by-words, as the A and B teams alternated offensively against a dummy defense.

The dummy scrimmage which followed the contact work occupied the greater part of the afternoon session. Since the Harlow system is largely dependent on a smooth and fast functioning attack, emphasis was laid on snap and deception.

McKinney Gets Red Jersey

The promotion of Loren McKinney, an end, to the Red Jerseys brought the number of first squad players to 25. McKinney is the sixth end and probably the last to be given a Varsity jersey. Other first squad-ends are Gene Lovett, Joe Koufman, George Downing, Bartow Kelly, and Jim Devine.

Lovett and Koufman Up

Harlow and End Coach Wes Fesler have been alternating various pairs at ends. Yesterday Lovett and Koufman replaced Downing and Devine on the flanks. Both Lovett and Koufman are moving up fast and are regarded as likely starters when the season opens.

There were no other changes in the A team yesterday, although Moses Hallett substituted for the absent Healey at right tackle. Vern Miller was at the other tackle; Lowry and Ernie Sargeant, guards; Burgy Ayres, center; Bill Coleman, quarterback; Torbie Macdonald and Joe Gardella, halfbacks; and Charley Spreyer, fullback.

This morning the Varsity will hold its final weekend drill, and will be given the afternoon off. Monday the team will resume regular practice but the morning session will be discontinued.