Widener's Books Circulate More During 1938-39

Limited Time of Withdrawal Said To Be Cause of 40,000 Volume Increase

A 40,000-volume increase in the number of books circulated by Widener Library for the past year was announced Saturday by Library officials.

An many as 210,000 books passed over the delivery desk in 1938-39 as compared with 170,000 the year before, and a new record for the number of books drawn was set when an average of 1,059 volumes a day left the library in one week.

The rise in circulation was attributed to a decrease in the length of time for which books could be held from one months to two weeks. This change, effected a year ago, made more books available for withdrawal by limiting the time for which any one person could keep a volume.

Requests Filled More Often

The number of requests for books at the delivery desk were filled successfully 65 per cent. of the time in 1938-39, officials estimated, while in 1937-38 only 57 per cent. of the orders were filled. This also, they said, was due to the two week withdrawal limit.

The time of withdrawal was shortened after a survey of library conditions instituted by an editorial campaign in the CRIMSON two years ago to make Widener more accessible to students in the College.