DEAN OUSTS TUTE SCHOOL HISTORY MAPS

Warning Follows Hand Out Of Circulars to History 1 Men

Acting quickly to suppress the latest venture in commercial tutoring, Dean George H. Chase announced yesterday that the College would take disciplinary action against students who use prepared maps in their work for History 1.

Dean Chase's warning followed closely upon an attempt by a tutoring organization to circularize its specimen maps among History 1 students as they came from their lecture in the New Lecture Hall yesterday.

Contrary to College Rule

According to the Dean's Office ruling, use of the maps is contrary to a College regulation adopted last May forbidding general patronage of cram schools. Dean Chase's statement follows:

"In view of the fact that an attempt is now being made to induce students to subscribe to a series of maps based upon assignments in History 1, it seems wise to call to the students' attention the College regulation which provides that: 'A student is liable to disciplinary action if he makes use of the services of a commercial tutoring school, unless for very exceptional reasons permission is given by the instructor in charge of the course in which he desires assistance and by the Dean of Harvard College.'

Take Disciplinary Action

"I am sure that the Administrative Board would consider the use of these maps as coming within the terms of this regulation and would feel obliged to take action against any student infringing it."

"A professional cartographer" prepared the maps, which cost $2 for an entire year's set. In its circular the tutoring service said that students could buy the maps through the mail by, sending their money to the secretary, Miss Barbara Woodfin. "We will send you the set by return mail, and well in time for your next assignment."

The advertisement reads in part: "You have been a student of History 1 long enough to see that it is a difficult course and that one of its most difficult features is the map work.

"Our solution to this age-old problem is a set of prepared maps containing all the requirements for the present year. These are in no way connected with tutoring notes and are sold just as books or any other items connected with a college course."

The circular boasted of the historical notes "included in the margins of many of the maps to clarify certain situations" and told of the cartographer's accuracy "in contrast to the sloppy and inexact maps which have come out in previous years."